Sports betting has seen a recent meteoric rise, with more states now opening up legal wagering, and more online sports betting sites emerging than ever before. Even last year, when the market was largely illegal, bettors were wagering more than $4 billion dollars just on football alone, so this year, that figure is set to rise considerably!
With this in mind, you might be considering placing a wager or two of your own, but how do you know which sports are the best to bet on? Here we look at two of the most popular options and discover how to give yourself the best chance of success when it comes to scooping a win.
Betting On Football
Football remains one of the most popular sports for bettors of all kinds and ages. Thanks to the ample amount of time between each game and the wealth of strategic information to bear in mind, it’s easy to see why. Sensible punters use analytics to predict how each game will unfold, but even those who are new to the sports betting scene can manage to pick a winner by simply piggybacking on the research which has already been carried out by the countless existing NFL bettors.
Where Is Football Betting Legal
While football betting isn’t legal at the federal level, when PASPA was overturned in 2018, the door was opened wide for states to make sports gambling legal. New Jersey led the way, but several other states jumped on the bandwagon, moving rapidly to regulate and legalize the industry inside their state lines. If you live in any of the following states, you can legally bet on football online:
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
- Rhode Island
- New Mexico
- New York
Several more states are planning to make their sports betting industry go live in advance of the 2019-2020 football season. These include:
How Do I Bet On Football?
You can bet on football in several ways. Here is a brief rundown of some of the most popular wager types on this sport:
- Moneyline – this is a bet on which team will win
- Point Spread – this is a bet on which team will win and the margin by which they’ll experience their victory
- Betting total – this is an over/under bet on the points total of the whole game
- Prop bets – these vary between bookmakers. They may include wagers on players’ individual performances, the kind of score which will open the game or the specific victory margin.
- Parlay – this bet will only pay out if every bet made is successful
- Teaser – this bet is a kind of parlay bet which combines between 2 and 10 wagers
- NFL futures – this type of bet is on the eventual champion of the Super Bowl, division, or total wins accrued by a specific team during a season
- Live betting – punters can place a bet at any time during the game with this type of bet
Betting On Basketball
Next to football, basketball is one of the most popular sports for punters to bet on. In fact, basketball is one of the world’s most popular sports with millions of people worldwide watching and enjoying this sport every year. Bookmakers offer a huge variety of betting markets and types when it comes to basketball, with the NBA being the most popular league to wager on.
Types Of Basketball Bets
There are several forms of betting when it comes to basketball. Some of the most popular wager types include:
- Spread betting – also known as Line Betting. This bet predicts which side of the bookmaker’s estimated final margin a game is going to finish on.
- Under/over betting. This is a bet on point totals for a game and whether they will be over or under the line set by the bookmaker.
- Moneyline bet. This is simply a bet on the team which you believe is most likely to win a game.
- Future bets and outrights. These bets are popular and could be on anything from which team will win the NBA Championship to which team will win the Division. It may also be on individual players, for example, the NBA’s most valuable player.
Other Popular Sports Betting Options
Of course, these are just two of the most popular sports for punters to bet on. There are plenty of other options too. Whether you love tennis, golf, baseball or even more niche sports like MMA snowboarding or VR sports, there are bookmakers online that will be happy to take your wager. Remember, play responsibly!