Want to make someone’s day? It’s as simple as cake. One in five Americans named the dessert as their favorite simple pleasure.
The study of 2,000 Americans revealed that while some love a tasty treat, others (19%) prefer piping hot tea — the gossip kind.
Americans have revealed the top 50 ‘simple pleasures in life – including sleeping in a freshly made bed, the feeling of the sun on your face – and going to the beach.
Being somewhere new, watching a cherished movie, and seeing stunning views all feature in the list.
Others include receiving a compliment from a stranger, listening to favorite songs, and having a picnic.
But those polled only enjoy an average of eight moments of simple pleasure each week – about one a day.
And the satisfaction of a moment’s pleasure can last for upwards of 20 minutes on average, although 11 percent get a glow for up to an hour.
The research was commissioned by Small Luxury Hotels of the World, which also commissioned poet Laurie Bolger to come up with a piece on life’s simple pleasures.
The wordsmith said: “I wanted my poem to remind people about the feeling you get when you are able to enjoy life’s simple pleasures.
“But on the other hand, I also wanted to highlight that the reason some of these things are so enjoyable is because they are a break from the norm.
“Feeling the sun on my face is definitely one of my favorite simple pleasures in life, and I’m glad the survey reflected that – and that we’re starting to see brighter weather too.”
Twenty-two percent enjoy seeing flowers and trees blossom, and more than a fifth enjoy exercise enough to put it on their list.
Swimming outside, discovering new food– and people watching all appeared in the top 50.
However, 63 percent of those polled, via OnePoll, believe they don’t get to enjoy life’s simplest pleasures often enough for their liking.
While 62 percent don’t have enough time in their day-to-day to take advantage of small pleasures as much as they should.
Around four in 10 said work commitments are a major hindrance, while 39 percent think being a parent has left them with less time to enjoy simple pleasures although they appreciate it more when they do.
Richard Hyde, Managing Director, Small Luxury Hotels of the World added: “Our list found many of life’s pleasures are ones often found on holiday, such as seeing a stunning view, waking up to sunshine, taking long walks and discovering new places. It’s on our travels that we’re able to experience an abundance of life’s simple pleasures which have a longer-lasting effect on us.
Now that it looks as though coronavirus restrictions are starting to slowly lift, we’re hoping people will be able to enjoy some of these pleasures at home and abroad before too much longer.”
THE TOP 50 SIMPLE PLEASURES IN LIFE:
- Listening to your favorite songs
- A nice dinner
- Watching your favorite movie
- Finishing a really good book
- Doing exercise
- Spotting a species of bird you’ve never seen before
- Seeing flowers and trees blossom
- Wearing an outfit that makes you feel good
- Home cooking
- A match on Hinge (or other dating site) with someone you’re attracted to
- Stunning views
- Going to the beach
- Not having to set the alarm at the weekend or on a day off
- Getting a delivery in the mail
- Dining out
- Finding money you had forgotten about
- Laughing out loud at a film
- Having dinner made for you
- Staying in bed on a Sunday morning
- Making someone smile or laugh
- Sound of rain on the window
- Having a picnic
- Hearing the wind blow through the trees
- Being somewhere new
- Sleeping in a freshly made bed
- Receiving a compliment from a stranger
- Swimming outside
- Discovering new food
- Feeling of sun on your face
- Playing sport with friends or family
- Waking up to sun
- Donating to charity
- Getting a cuddle from your children
- Meeting new people
- Buying fresh local food produce
- Hearing nothing but birds tweeting
- Having a coffee/tea in bed
- People watching
- Putting your out of office on as you head off on a vacation
- The smell of toast in the morning
- Spontaneous outings
- Long walks
- Playing a musical instrument
- Sleeping in a big incredibly comfy bed
- Wearing a new pair of socks for the first time
- Having a gossip or catch up with friends
- Being in the countryside
- Seeing a butterfly