If you start complaining about your job requiring vaccines, don’t be surprised if your co-workers don’t back you up.
According to a new poll conducted by Florida Atlantic University, two-thirds of Floridians support employers who set a “no jab, no job” workplace. Just 30% oppose, and the rest aren’t sure.
Likewise, FAU also found 66% of Floridians agree with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendation that students, teachers, and other school staff wear masks. Yes, colleges, too.
Schools are employers, after all — and in most counties, they’re among the largest.
The margins tightened when the “parental rights” argument was floated. A slim majority (51%) said they think, just as Gov. Ron DeSantis does, the mom and dad should be the ultimate arbiters on masking matters. Two-fifths think parental authority ends when their kids get on the bus, however. Another 9% said they weren’t sure who should decide.
Among the sample of 500 Floridians — 80% of whom said they were vaccinated or plan to be — were 131 parents of children between the ages of 12 and 18 and another 118 parents of children 6 to 11 years old.
Though a comparatively small sample, 76% of those with tweens and teens said their children either have or will get the vaccine. The other 24% said they do not plan to get their kids vaccinated. And 85% of parents with elementary school-aged kids said they would get their child vaccinated once the FDA gives the OK.
Notably, Floridians are also standing against the Governor on so-called “vaccine passports.” FAU found that majorities think they should be required to board planes (68%) and cruise ships 70% or enter stadiums (61%) and restaurants (53%).
— SITUATIONAL AWARENESS —
—@NYTimes: Pope Francis is urging people around the world to get vaccinated against COVID-19 in a new public service ad, calling it “an act of love.”
—@POTUS: We will not sit by as Governors try to block or intimidate educators protecting kids against COVID-19. This isn’t about politics. This is about keeping our kids safe and taking on this virus together.
—@elliotcwilliams: The sudden emergence of Deep Down Everyone Truly Is An Expert About Afghanistan Twitter is really making me miss the golden days of Armchair Epidemiologist Twitter
—@GeorgeTakei: Why are anti-vaxxers OK with experimental monoclonal antibody treatments but not OK with a proven, field-tested vaccine? Makes zero sense.
—@TarynFenske: This is not an either/or situation. There are people who are vaccinated and also testing positive. We have a successful, effective, and early treatment available through monoclonal antibodies. Treatment & prevention are not mutually exclusive.
—@IamSharpe: It’s been 128 days since @ tweeted about the vaccines.
New: Black and Hispanic people still have lower vaccination rates than White people, but the gap has closed significantly in recent weeks.
— Larry Levitt (@larry_levitt) August 18, 2021
—@MacStipanovich: Well, well, well. The rebellion spreads. Now DeSantis can suspend the school boards and superintendents of Dade, Broward, Hillsborough and Alachua. That would be something.
—@DuranForFlorida: Kudos to the leadership on display by the 7 @ board members who voted to ensure the safe and continued participation for in-school learning. Students having to quarantine aren’t in class. This decision was pro-student and pro-in-person learning.
—@USFHealth: USF Health continues to respond to the COVID-19 outbreak in our community. We are shifting our resources to focus our teams on COVID care at our partner @ and in our outpatient clinics. Due to this, we may have selective clinic cancellations and rescheduling.
—@PGuzzoTimes: My kids casually speak about class quarantines and active shooter drills. This is their norm.
Roughly half of U.S. adults (48%) now say the government should take steps to restrict false information online, even if it means losing some freedom to access and publish content. That is up from 39% in 2018. https://t.co/QMXAAiWANf pic.twitter.com/cTcyCH25MC
— Pew Research Center (@pewresearch) August 18, 2021