National No Bra Day is observed annually on October 13. This is a day to leave your bra at home.
This National Day is meant to promote breast cancer awareness and to help raise money for research. Many women who have survived breast cancer are unable to go without a bra as they need it to hold their prosthesis after surgery. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and No Bra Day should serve as a reminder for all women to be screened for breast cancer.
- Crete is accredited with not only the first corset, but also the first bra. In fact, they were wearing bras hundreds of years before the rest of us. Funny thing is Grecian women wore bras and corsets that supported yet exposed their breasts.
- The term “brassiere” was first used in Vogue in 1907. This means “support” which is what a bra is used for – to support our breasts. From there, it was shortened to the “bra” as we know it today.
- Ancient Greeks thought the Milky Way was made from drops of breast milk from the goddess Hera.
- It was not until the 1920’s when a husband and wife team began changing the way bras were and actually started giving them cup sizes.
- Mary Phelps Jacob created a backless bra with two handkerchiefs and a pink ribbon in 1914. A New York City socialite, Mary sold this design to Warner Brother’s Corset Company. This wasn’t the first bra type created, but it was one of the most popular.
- The average bra size is now a 36DD. Breasts are growing and being desired larger and larger.
- 6 – number of times most women will change in bra size over their lifetime.
- In the 70’s, the first sports bra was invented out of (get this!) two jock straps!
- The first push-up bra was introduced in the 1800’s.
- In China you can major in bra studies.
- In 2008, there were nearly 18,000 breast reductions performed… on men.
- Mythbusters (no pun intended) found that a barista with a DD bra size resulted in men tipping 30% more and women tipping 40% more.
- Mark Twain invented and patented the bra-strap clasp.
- Neil Armstrong’s spacesuit was made by a bra manufacturer – Playtex.
- In order to hit the high note in the theme song to Goldfinger, Shirley Bassey had to remove her bra in the studio between takes.
- According to science, 65% of women have a larger left breast.
- More than 4 million new bras are produced each day.