No matter what way you look at it the lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender and ‘queer’ (LGBTQ) community is more likely to suffer substance addiction than their heterosexual counterparts.
Often this is driven by childhood experiences that resulted in trauma and once addicted to an unhealthy substance shaking it and rebuilding your life can be very difficult and challenging.
Many people go to Resort 12 which is a rehabilitation center, located in Thailand that has exceptional results in helping people, especially in the LGBTQ community, rebuild their lives.
It’s a discreet, stylish LGBT+ drug rehab sanctuary that offers a new global standard in addiction and trauma treatment exclusively for LGBT+ clients.
Drug Addiction Statistics in the LGBTQ Community
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the statistics show some interesting and revealing facts about the nature of addition in the LGBTQ community.
- The National Survey on Drug Use and Health in 2015 discovered that 39.1% of LGBTQ community compared to 17.1% of the heterosexual community had taken an illicit drug in the past 12 months. This trend repeated in the use of other drugs. 30.7% compared to 12.9% used marijuana, while 10.1% compared to 4.5% misused prescription pain relievers.
- A 2013 survey from the U.S. Census Bureau, discovered that the LGBTQ community aged between 18-64 were more likely to binge drink than their heterosexual counterparts.
- Generally, substance use is far higher among the LGBTQ community and subgroups such as the bisexual community.
Addiction is not Just Illicit Drugs
When you think of addiction you are probably thinking of harder illegal substances. Many that enter Resort 12, however, are not addicted to cocaine, crack, or heroin but prescription drugs, marijuana, and MDMA.
That said, Resort 12 treats many individuals addicted to ‘harder’ substances that need to rebuild their lives and get back on their feet.
Going to Resort 12 or a similar center has key advantages in beating drug addiction.
- You are in a safe space without peer pressure or threat. This is a freeing experience and you can focus on your addiction and the reasons that led to your current predicament.
- The change in surroundings is often therapeutic and allows you to look inwards as the clutter of daily life is behind you. This is a very important aspect of treatment.
- Resort 12 and places like it have experienced and professionals’ clinicians that have the resources and know-how. This is one of the reasons for their high success rates.
- As you feel more comfortable, you will find you can speak more freely about your experiences especially childhood incidents that caused you harm. Many of those addicted to substances underwent horrible childhood traumas that are very difficult to talk about.
- At Resort 12 you are more likely to understand and find resolutions. From this point, you will probably find your desire to take addictive substances will subside.
- Resort 12 uses The Cabin’s model to beat addiction. This is a world-renowned technique that has proven results.
When looked at through this lens, there seems to be no justice. As a child, you had no control and what happened to you was terrible. As a result and as an adult you can’t move on with your life. The chances are the perpetrator escaped justice and has possibly passed away.
There is no escaping your past. You can take every substance you can get your hands on and it will still be there. You can, however, if you are willing to take the first step, become the person you should be by beating your demons through coming to terms with them and moving on.
Places like Resort 12 offers you the chance to start a new life and start from scratch.