Sticking to a gluten-free diet is far from easy, especially when it comes to grabbing something to eat on the go. It seems that just about everything on a supermarket shelf contains gluten or at least traces of it in some form or another, be it sandwiches, cakes, pasta salads or even some potato chips.
And if your house is anything like mine, things aren’t much easier there either, the constant temptation of Gluten-Free and other gluten-filled snacks and foods are always lying around and all you can do is sit back and watch while everyone else enjoys them.
One day I decided to take over the reins on my kitchen and really get organized. I decided to fill my pantry with all the ingredients I need to make my favorite gluten-free goodies, to minimize the temptation to eat something containing gluten that will ultimately leave me feeling rotten.
Looking for a few gluten-free essentials to add to your pantry for when hunger strikes? I have compiled a list of my absolute favorite things to have on hand. Check it out:
Grab and go gluten-free snacks:
One of the most annoying and rather inconvenient things for me when I first started excluding gluten from my diet would definitely be how restrictive my food options became. I decided to fill my pantry with some gluten-free snacks that I can grab and chuck in a bag if I know I will be out for a long morning.
- Popcorn – salty, sweet, with caramel, chocolate you name the flavor, it is all scrumptious, gluten-free and can easily be poured into a container or a food bag and eaten on the go.
- Nut and rice cracker snacks – these also come in a variety of tasty flavors for you to pick your favorite.
- Gluten-free or almond flour crackers – delicious when topped with your choice of butter, hummus or fruit jam.
Gluten-free meal essentials:
There are so many tasty meals that can be made using the right gluten-free substitutions. Make sure you have the following gluten alternatives in your cupboards to make the most delicious gluten-free suppers and cakes.
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour – an essential, especially if you are planning to make a gluten-free cake or bake a fresh loaf of gluten-free bread. There are many gluten-free flour options on the market, including white or brown rice flour, potato flour, corn flour, almond flour, buckwheat flour or sorghum flour just to name a few.
- Gluten-free pasta sheets – perfect to make a deliciously cheesy and stogy all-Italian lasagna. These cook super quick in the right pot for easy meals.
- Gluten-free pasta and noodles – you can find gluten-free pasta in most supermarkets and in a wide variety of pasta shapes. You can find gluten-free pastas that are made from chickpeas, quinoa or even a mixture of corn and rice, giving them all varied flavors and textures.
There you have it, some gluten-free essentials for you to fill your pantry, that will keep you equipped with something yummy to grab and eat on the go and will help you follow that scrummy gluten-free recipe to perfection.
Jeremy grew up learning how to cook from his parents as well as working in a high-volume catering operation while in college. He now enjoys spending time with his family writing for his blog Ktchndad.