Americans lose roughly $100 billion gambling each year, and with fans expected to wager more than $100 million during Kentucky Derby weekend, May 6-7, the personal-finance website WalletHub released an in-depth report on 2016’s Most Gambling-Addicted States as well as a collection of fun facts about the first leg of the Triple Crown.
Below are some highlights from each report:
|Most Gambling-Addicted States||Least Gambling-Addicted States|
142nd Kentucky Derby By The Numbers:
- 127,000: The number of Mint Juleps, containing 1,000 pounds of fresh mint, to be served throughout Kentucky Derby weekend.
- 90 percent: Percentage of female spectators who will wear a hat.
- $300,000: The 2016 fee for the world’s most valuable stud, Tapit.
- $194.3 million: The total dollar amount wagered on the 2015 Kentucky Derby, the most in history, with $154.3 million ultimately being paid on winning tickets.
- $200,000: The estimated value of the Kentucky Derby trophy, which includes an 18-karat gold horse and rider, 350 rubies and 12 emeralds.