American Express has long been the prestige brand credit card. Wheelers, dealers, celebrities, and multi-millionaires and billionaires all boasted the power of the American Express Centurion (also called Amex Black) card in their wallet. Many famously saying they would never leave home without it. In 2018, they launched a new campaign and for the first time in 40 years, the spots aired without their typical celebrity spokespeople. The new spots coined the tagline “Don’t live life without it.”
Well, unfortunately sometimes people live with their American Express card just a little too much. Credit cards make modern life so much easier, but further down the road, they can also make life so much more difficult. In fact, American Express is very aggressive in going after people who do not pay their bills often taking cardholders to court when they become delinquent. It can be pretty scary to get served by a company with phalanxes of lawyers. But here are eight celebrities who survived an AMEX lawsuit, and probably for much, much more than you are currently worried about.
- Mickey Rourke: In 2017 Sin City star Mickey Rourke was sued by American Express for claim exceeding $51,000. In a 2009 interview, the acclaimed actor admitted that he’s never had much respect for money, and indeed has spent time completely broke and dependent on the help of friends simply to eat. Unfortunately, he ignored the lawsuit, and AMEX received a judgment against him.
- Iggy Azalea: $299,000 in debt to Amex. Had 50K limit. Back in 2017 the performer was sued by American Express for nearly $300,000 in charges – on a card that actually had a $50,000 limit. How that one got by American Express, I have no clue, but she wasn’t the only one. The ‘Sally Walker’ rapper is having a strong sophomore album and tour and will hopefully be able to clear her debt. However, I do think that American Express should have to eat the overage past the original $50,000 limit on the card.
- Annette Taddeo: Annette Taddeo, a candidate for the Florida Senate, settled an AMEX lawsuit over $38,000 in unpaid charges. Taddeo said only that there were disputed charges made it to her company card, and that the lawsuit has been amicably resolved.
- Tyrese: $61K amid divorce woes. The ‘Fast and Furious’ star was sued by American Express for debts in excess of $61,000. In the middle of a nasty divorce and custody battle, the star fell on hard times, but was able to settle with American Express and implement a payment plan.
- Tori Spelling: Tori Spelling’s $80,000 history with American Express could make a TV drama. The reality TV star and star of Everly Hills 90210 and her husband have racked up unpaid balances with the likes of City National Bank and Citibank, with the amounts going, “due, owing, and unpaid.” The couple apparently ignore their debts and can’t meet their minimum payments. There is also a tax lien on their home. Ms. Spelling blames her financial woes on growing up rich and never learning to handle her finances. Tori? Call Van Horn Law Group. We can help.
- Courtney Love: Back in 2009, the Hole founder and widow of rock legend Curt Cobain was sued for in excess of $350,000 by American Express across three cards in her name. The largest balance – which was nearly $280,000 – was followed by two smaller ones of approximately $70,000 and almost $4000. Love claimed in a countersuit that American Express issued cards without her consent and that she did not owe them a penny. She also did not pay her attorneys for the lawsuit or multiple other legal contretemps. In a 2014 interview, she claimed that she makes it enough to live on and is financially solvent.
- Lamar Odom: $17K ex-NBA star, former Kardashian husband. Former professional basketball player and a former Kardashian husband Lamar Odom was facing an AMEX lawsuit in early 2019. Credit card company sued for a balance in excess of $17,000. American Express, after having gone to the trouble of filing a lawsuit, mysteriously asked the court to dismiss and dropped their lawsuit. Whether it was a settlement made out of court, or other factors, Mr. Odom has certainly had a great deal contend with. Let’s hope this is a lucky break.
- Charlie Sheen: Charlie Sheen was sued by American Express for balance of almost $288,000 – including nearly $8500 in late fees. Sheen blamed a former business manager for the lapse in payment, and said that if he were AMEX he would be suing himself, too. The matter has not been in the news lately, so it may have been settled to the satisfaction of American Express.
The celebrities who survived an AMEX lawsuit did not come away unscathed, but it is possible to negotiate a settlement with credit card company. If you have received a notice from American Express that they are taking you to court, do not ignore your summons! Last thing you want is for them to receive a default judgment which will make dealing with the matter all the more difficult. You need to be aware of your options, and for that an attorney. And that attorney should be an experienced attorney at Van Horn Law Group.
Come See Us if You’re Facing an AMEX Lawsuit!
You don’t have to be a celebrity in order to settle an AMEX lawsuit. But if American Express is only one of your problems, you need to sit down and take a look at the big picture. You might be able to recover with the consolidation loan, you may be able to negotiate a settlement, but if your debt is out of control on more than one front you need sound legal advice whether or not that advice leads to bankruptcy court. Our offices in West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale are open Monday through Saturday and by appointment on Sundays. Even better, your first consultation is absolutely free – and you can just walk in. Will give you our best advice on how to proceed and survive that American Express lawsuit.