Dr. Seuss’ beloved character, the Cat in the Hat, has declared his candidacy for president of the United States in the 2016 election, as the one and only Kids’ Candidate, with Thing 1 and Thing 2 as his running mates.
The Cat in the Hat, in his presidential campaign, will represent all that Dr. Seuss believed about children—that they have the intellect, imagination, and power to impact our world positively, while also having fun.
The announcement of the Cat in the Hat for President campaign (CatInHat4Prez.com, #CatInHat4Prez, @catinhat4prez) arrives with the release of a new book in The Cat in the Hat Learning Library, ONE VOTE, TWO VOTES, I VOTE, YOU VOTE (On sale July 26, 2016 / Ages 5–8 / Random House Books for Young Readers).
In the latest addition to this collection of nonfiction books for beginning readers, the Cat in the Hat uses simple rhyme to introduce early readers to the concept and practice of voting, with a focus on the American presidency. Readers learn the basic principles of democracy, how political parties are made, why Election Day is held in early November, and much, much more.
As the Kids’ Candidate, the Cat in the Hat will show kids that every vote counts, and every voice matters! Votes can be cast for the Cat in the Hat to work with one of his supporters and their selected cause. Each cause is linked to a related organization, and together Random House Children’s Books and Dr. Seuss Enterprises will make a $10,000 donation to the winning charity.
The ballot includes the opportunity for kids to:
Vote for Reading and Education to support First Book, with Dick and Sally from The Cat in the Hat!
- Vote for Ocean Conservation to support Oceana, with Red Fish and Blue Fish from One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish!
- Vote for the Environment to support Conservation International, with the Lorax!
- Vote for Fighting Hunger to support Feed the Children, with Sam-I-Am! from Green Eggs and Ham!
- Vote for Kindness for All to support PACER Center, with Horton from Horton Hears a Who!
- Casting a Vote in the Cat in the Hat for President Campaign!
- Children can vote for the Cat and their preferred cause by sending a ballot slip to Random House Children’s Books. Ballots can be downloaded and printed at home from the campaign headquarters, CatInHat4Prez.com, or picked up in participating retailers across the country or from participating educators this fall. Voting will run from July 26, 2016, through November 8, 2016, and the winning charity will be announced on December 1, 2016.
“We are absolutely delighted to share this exciting news today, and we know that Dr. Seuss would be thrilled to see the Cat in the Hat encouraging children nationwide to exercise their voice and learn about the importance of voting while having fun—and most important carrying out a belief in kids that was so important to him throughout his career,” says Susan Brandt, President, Licensing and Marketing, Dr. Seuss Enterprises L.P.
Every Voice Matters—a Campaign Inspired by Dr. Seuss Himself!
Over the course of his career, Dr. Seuss wrote and illustrated books for children that empowered them to believe in their voice and place in the world. His books include such words as “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” (Horton Hears a Who!); “You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.” (Oh, the Places You’ll Go!); “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” (The Lorax); and “I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, But down here at the bottom, we, too, should have rights.” (Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories). The Cat in the Hat for President campaign celebrates this prevalent theme in Dr. Seuss’s books and his commitment to it.
SOURCE Random House Children’s Books