That malty elixir is toasted annually on September 28th on National Drink Beer Day. As the Oktoberfest season comes to an end, this day is a great reminder to enjoy the world’s most popular adult beverage.
Beer lovers have more selection than ever before in the ale and lager market. An explosion in the craft beer industry keeps the competition and the flavors robust, churning out new flavors seasonally. Beer connoisseurs quench their thirst with flavors drastically different from their grandfather’s beers. Root Beer to raspberry, caramel, and hints of herbs all tickle the palate when it comes to artisanal beers.
- After he won the Nobel Prize in 1922, Niels Bohr was given a perpetual supply of beer piped into his house.
- The builders of the Great Pyramid of Giza were paid with a daily ration of beer.
- The top five states for beer consumption per capita: 1. North Dakota, 2. New Hampshire, 3. Montana, 4. South Dakota 5. Wisconsin.
- Fried beer won Most Creative Fried Food at the 2010 Texas State Fair.
- Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty glass.
- Oktoberfest originally started as a festival celebrating the 1810 marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig.
- Beer helped Joseph Priestly discover oxygen. He noticed gases rising from the big vats of beer at a brewery and asked to do some experiments.
- The moon has a crater named Beer.
- At the start of Bavarian Beer Week in Germany, an open-air beer fountain dispenses free beer to the public.
- In the 1980s, a beer-drinking goat was elected mayor of Lajitas, TX. Watch the video below: