National Raisin Bran Cereal Day is observed and enjoyed each year on November 15.
Since 1926, raisin bran cereal has been manufactured by a number of different companies under a variety of brand names, including Kellogg’s Raisin Bran, General Mills, Total Raisin Bran and Ralcorp’s Post Raisin Bran. U.S. Mills introduced Skinner’s Raisin Bran to the United States in 1926, which was the first brand on the market.
A good source of dietary fiber, raisin bran cereal is the star of the day, not just at breakfast but all day, on National Raisin Bran Cereal Day.
- “Skinner’s Raisin Bran” was the first bran brand on the market, introduced in the United States in 1926 by U.S. Mills.
- During his incarceration, former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein preferred Raisin Bran cereal for breakfast given by his American prison guards.
- The first cold breakfast cereal, Granula, was invented in the United States in 1863 by James Caleb Jackson, operator of Our Home on the Hillside which was later replaced by the Jackson Sanatorium in Dansville, New York.
- Twenty-six percent of Americans snack on cereal during the day; 61 percent of that group is women.
- Kellogg’s was the first company to advertise on the Times Square billboard in New York.