Join NASA in celebrating the Voyager mission’s 40 years of exploring space. Inspired by the messages of goodwill carried on Voyager’s Golden Record, you’re invited to send via social media a short, uplifting #MessageToVoyager and all that lies beyond it. With input from the Voyager team and a public vote, one of these messages will be selected for NASA to beam into interstellar space on Sept. 5, 2017—the 40th anniversary of Voyager 1’s launch.
What (and how) can I submit a #MessageToVoyager?
- Messages can have a maximum of 60 characters (A-Z, 0-9, spaces and punctuation)
- Tag submissions #MessageToVoyager
- Post messages on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Google+ or Tumblr
- Privacy settings on submission posts must be public to be considered
- Submissions must be received by 11:59 p.m. PDT on Aug. 15, 2017
- JPL, NASA and the Voyager team will select their top picks
- The public will choose the winning message by poll on this page from these top picks
- NASA will beam the winning message through space toward Voyager 1
What’s noteworthy about the Voyager mission?
- Voyager is the longest continuously operating space mission ever
- Voyager 1 is the most distant human-made object ever
- Voyager 1 is the first spacecraft to enter interstellar space
- Voyager 2 is the only spacecraft to fly by Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune
- Both are the first spacecraft able to detect their own problems and take corrective action
- More about how the Voyagers blazed trails
#MessageToVoyager Social Media Campaign Timeline
|August 1||Kickoff; tag submissions #MessageToVoyager|
|August 15||Submissions due|
|August 23||Public voting opens|
|August 29||Public voting closes|
|September 5||#MessageToVoyager transmission|
|September 6||#MessageToVoyager arrives in interstellar space in the vicinity of Voyager 1|