In the United States, it is estimated that 14,000 people experience water damage in their home or business each day and 37% of homeowners have suffered various losses from water damage. The annual cost of water damage in the US is estimated to be $2.5 billion USD.
Living in South Florida’s humid subtropics is a lifelong dream for many people; however, it can come at a high cost. Heavily rainfalls characterize South Florida’s weather from May through October, with risks of hurricanes and cyclones. In particular, coastal areas, such as Miami and St. Petersburg, are often most at risk.
In addition, according to the American Insurance Association, water damage is the number one growing claim in homeowner’s insurance.
However, South Florida’s proliferation of cost-effective and professional water damage restoration companies will put your mind at ease. Living comfortably in South Florida is still possible, so enjoy the warmth of this “Sunshine State.”
Reasons for Hiring a Water Damage Restoration Company
One of the primary reasons for hiring a water damage restoration company is water damage to one’s home or business.
As well as being a threat to the actual structure of the building, water damage also threatens the inside contents on the home or business as well. The resulting mold that accompanies water damage and is frequently found on walls, in bathrooms, and in kitchens, can be very detrimental to the health of inhabitants. It must be taken care of quickly and efficiently.
Another less serious, but still necessary reason for hiring a water damage restoration company is leaky sink pipes. Many companies also take care of issues such as broken dishwashers, broken dishwater hoses, clogged toilets, broken supply lines, and washing machine overflow.
Benefits of Choosing a Water Damage Restoration Company
It is important to choose a professional company as opposed to performing the work oneself. It will save one money in the long term, as well as guaranteeing one’s safety.
Apart from being highly skilled and experienced professionals, water damage contractors also have a wide range of professional equipment for various purposes.
Many companies offer a variety of services, including dehumidification, leak detection, structural drying, thermal inspections, and water drying.
- Thermal Inspections/Leak Detection– Many companies use the latest innovations in thermal imaging to detect leaks quickly and efficiently. Companies no longer have to rip into drywall or pull back flooring.
- Water Removal – Water removal is often performed by truck-mount extraction units or portable units to ensure the fastest removal possible.
- Structural Drying – Structural drying is also very important after water damage. Many companies offer a variety of techniques that include assessment, restoration plans, dehumidification, and removal of any remaining moisture. They also include temperature management.
- Dehumidification – Dehumidification is a part of structural drying and is crucial to preventing mold growth. It also speeds up drying throughout the entire property.
Water Damage Categories
Water damage can be classified into 3 main categories.
- Category 1 refers to Clean Water. This is uncontaminated water that is not a threat to inhabitants. An example of this is a sink overflow.
- Category 2 refers to Grey Water. There is a chance of contaminants, which can cause illness or discomfort to inhabitants. An example of this could be dishwasher discharge.
- Category 3 refers to Black Water. This is contaminated water that can cause serious illness or even death. Examples include sewage spills and floodwater.
Cost of Water Damage Restoration
The cost of water damage restoration depends primarily on square footage. However, cost also depends on the extent of damage and geographical location of one’s home or business. Services in larger cities tend to be more expensive than in smaller towns.
For example, in 2019, Jacksonville owners paid approximately $1,997 USD in water damage costs, while in Port Orange costs were slightly higher at an average of $2,023 USD.
Nationwide, the average cost is approximately $2,700 USD, with Category 1 costing $3.75 per square foot, Category 2 costing $4.50, and Category 3 costing $7.00.
Many South Florida water damage restoration companies offer free consultations. Your safety and health depend on it.