Mold grows just about everywhere and in every state, but some are more prone to it than others and for various reasons. Mold grows best in wet areas, and Florida is no stranger to water.
Florida, itself, is prone to flooding and it’s listed as one of the state’s most frequent hazards. It’s become so frequent that the sunshine state has entire websites devoted to letting people know if they reside, or are moving into, areas that are prone to floods. This alone makes many homes vulnerable to the presence of mold.
Per every hurricane system, at least two of them make landfall in the U.S., and about forty percent of them hit Florida. That might not seem like much, but it’s still among the few states that routinely get hit with a hurricane. Hurricanes can do a lot of damage and involve heavy downpours. In those conditions, it doesn’t take a lot for water to get into a home.
There’s also the amount of rainfall that Florida gets from year-to-year. This isn’t just a few inches; it’s actually around four to five feet annually in many places! It’s that rain that keeps the grass green, but it can also cause leaks in people’s roofs. Once that water gets in, it can cause a lot of problems for homeowners.
In addition to that, there are many homes now in Florida where having a house “on the water” is much more literal than people think. Places, like Key Largo, have communities that almost resemble Venice in that the water is just feet from their doorstep! It’s also a simple truth that mold would be a concern for anyone living such close proximity to the ocean.
All of these water-related incidents in Florida has resulted in a great surge in the need for mold remediation and removal. But, mold isn’t that big of a deal, is it? Won’t a bucket, some bleach, and a sponge take care of that? The answer may be surprising to many in that dealing with mold all by one’s lonesome can result in some serious health issues, and yes, even death.
That’s why any mold found in a house needs to be taken seriously. If any is discovered, then it’s best to call in someone right away to determine if it’s dangerous. It’s true that there are a number of regular molds that aren’t life-threatening, but black mold can be a real problem. People usually know now that this type of mold can get into the air and then family members can end up breathing it in, but it can also get into their food, as well.
The health effects of black mold can result in a number of health problems including infections, allergies, asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome, lupus, and even cancer, and that’s just to name a few.
So, if any mold is encountered in a home, make sure to call in a professional company and get it checked to make sure that it isn’t dangerous, When one attempts to remove mold without professional training, they can’t just grab a bucket and a sponge and get to work. When it comes to dangerous molds, like black mold, there are quite a number of precautions to take.
In cases where there is still a significant amount of water on the floor, equipment needs to be rented or purchased to remove the water and dry out the home before work even starts! After that, the mold can be removed with bleach, but proper care has to be taken not to come in direct contact with the mold or to breathe it in. If that sounds like a lot to do, be ready, because there are several more things that have to be done to ensure that nothing goes wrong!
With all of these expenses and precautions that one has to take, it really is better, and likely cheaper, to call in a mold remediation team to get rid of the problem. It’s also the best way to ensure that the work is done right.