Owning a pet is a big responsibility. When you adopt an animal, you become responsible for their health and wellbeing. If you’re serious about keeping your pet happy and healthy, you need to find a good veterinarian who will make your pet feel comfortable.
Finding a vet should be your priority as soon as you get a pet, and not when the need for one arises. You want your veterinarian and your pet to build a good, stable, and long-lasting relationship.
There is a large number of veterinarians in Orlando, so you want to make sure that you’ve made a good choice. But before you schedule your first appointment, there are a number of factors you should consider. Follow these steps to make sure you will provide your furry friend with the best possible care.
Start your search
Before you start your search, you need to consider what your pet might need. Factors such as your pet’s age, breed, and health concerns are something you should consider. While pets with specific health issues might need a specialist, a newborn and healthy animal will be content with a general veterinarian.
Once you know what you need, it will be easier to find the perfect veterinarian. One of the best ways to determine who is good at this job is through word-of-mouth. Ask your friends which vet treats their pets and if they are satisfied with the service.
If you’re new to the area or aren’t friends with pet owners, you should take a look at this list of most popular vet clinics in Orlando, Florida. If you select a doctor from this list, you can be sure that your pet will be in good hands.
Visit all potential vets
After you have narrowed down your list to only a couple of candidates, make sure to visit the clinic without your pet. Most reputable veterinary practices will be happy to give you a tour of the place to make you feel welcome and good about choosing them.
When you’re visiting the veterinary facility, make sure to pay attention to the following things:
- Distance from your home How long did it take you to get here and was it an easy journey? If a crisis situation with your pet arises, will you be able to make it to the clinic in a short amount of time?
- The animals in the waiting area This is one of the most important things you should keep an eye out for. Most animals hate going to the vet’s and it’s normal that one or two will be nervous. But if most of the animals there seem comfortable and content, the veterinarians there are probably good at their job.
- Cleanliness A good veterinarian clinic will keep the exam rooms and the waiting area clean at all times.
- The staff Observe how the staff interacts with the people and pets who are there. If they’re calm, caring and polite, they will also probably take good care of your pet.
Get answers to the most important questions
While you’re visiting the clinics, make sure to talk to ask all the questions that come to your mind. Since communication is a crucial part of vet care as you will be answering all the questions your vet might have, you need to establish good communication from the start.
Before your visit, make a list of everything you want to know. A good veterinarian won’t have anything to hide and will be happy to provide you with all the answers you need.
Some of the questions that you should ask include:
- Does the vet refer patients to specialists if there is a need for that?
- How does the clinic monitor overnight patients?
- Is the equipment that is used in the clinic new and in good condition?
- Do all veterinarians on staff have their license?
- Is the practice accredited by the AAHA?
- What types of payment does the practice accept?
- Do they offer pet insurance?
Introduce your pet to the veterinarian
If you think you’ve narrowed down your search to the best possible choice for your pet, schedule an appointment with the veterinarian. Even though a clinic might seem great at first glance, it may also turn out not to be a good fit for your pet.
Schedule a checkup or a visit just to let your pet become acquainted with the vet. While you’re there, keep a close eye on the vet as well as your pet, and observe the reactions they both might have. Observe how the veterinarian is handling your pet and if your pet looks comfortable.
It’s important to take into consideration that some pets will get nervous around any veterinarian, especially if they’re not comfortable with strangers. If that’s the case, look at how the vet handles the situation and if they’re able to perform an exam without losing their temper or angering the animal.
Make sure you feel comfortable with the veterinarian
Your pet isn’t the only one that should feel comfortable with the vet you take them to. It can be hard to entrust the health and lives of our pets to someone, and you should probably listen to your instincts.
Some things you should look out for when you’re in a meeting with a veterinarian for the first time are:
- Kindness. A veterinarian should always be kind and patient. This includes kindness both to you and your pet, as health exams aren’t something that should be rushed.
- Communication. Is the vet willing to answer all the questions you might have for them? As we’ve already mentioned, communication is vital for veterinarians. If you can’t communicate with your vet properly, your pet won’t be able to get the care it needs and deserves.
- Love of animals. If you notice your vet doesn’t show a love for animals, they probably do their job just for the paycheck.
- Availability. Sometimes, your pet could be in an unsuspected crisis. If that happens, your doctor should always be accessible and available to you.
Finding a good veterinarian is crucial if you want to see your pet live a full and happy life. Don’t just choose the first one you find in the yellow pages or online. Do the needed research and make sure that both you and your pet are satisfied with your choice.