You’ve just read the title, and now you’re thinking “What? How could anyone say anything bad about coffee?
Gollum comparison aside, most coffee drinkers are pretty passionate about their Java. Being a coffee snob is pretty much a way of life these days. With so many different cultivars of coffee in so many different recipes, it’s hard not to love coffee.
But don’t get up in arms just yet!
We’re passionate about coffee as well. I’ve been known to down my fair share of Joe–everything from a proper espresso to a cappuccino latte to frappes and even the lesser-known drinks (like Bulletproof Coffee).
You know the old saying, “Too much of any good thing can be bad for you”? Coffee is so delicious and wonderful that there HAS to be downsides to it!
In this post, we’re going to take a look at coffee side effects to answer the question “Is coffee bad for you?” once and for all.
Set aside your passion for coffee for a moment so you can critically examine the side effects of coffee listed below.
Even if you know everything there is to know about coffee, you may learn a few things about the potential drawbacks of coffee…
Coffee Side Effects
Here are some of the reasons that drinking coffee ruins you:
- Makes all other beverages bland and boring by comparison. I mean, really? A cup of tea after drinking espressos for years? You’re better off drinking hot chocolate, or maybe a mocha. Oh right, that’s coffee again.
- Becomes an important part of your life until you can’t function without it. Morning is probably not a great time in your household, not until the first cup of Joe is nearly empty. (This might lead to relying on it to stop snoring and other related sleep apnea issues!)
- Makes you prone to fits of rage if someone is taking too long at Starbucks. “Come on! Do you really have to customize your order? You’re here for a cup of coffee, not a low-fat, soy milk, odd-flavored dessert!” Sound familiar?
- Increases your tendency to scoff at people who drink regular coffee. You’re so used to slow-brewing your own home-ground Arabica that you can’t imagine how anyone can drink the pathetic stuff brewed in the break room.
- Your head is stuffed with useless information. You know what a “cupping” is, what a “microlot” batch is, you understand terms like “leguminous”, and you say things like “tastes like Kenya”.
- You’re going broke. Regular store-bought coffee just doesn’t cut it for you anymore! If it’s not way overpriced, free-trade, organic, specialized coffee, you won’t let it touch your palate.
Pretty nasty side effects, right? And that’s before we even get to the effects coffee has on your body…